A Collection of what’s “out there” to help your children learn at home.
A note before you dive into the resources at the bottom of this page:
As a result of the Covid-19 Pandemic, the demands on parents and teachers have increased significantly to include the additional and unexpected responsibility for educating children at home. While many parents can shift and juggle to accommodate this new situation, some will find it difficult, if not impossible – especially if they are Essential Workers on the front lines of this crisis.
I have posted ideas for parents. Choose the ones that work for you and your students/children.
Most importantly, take care of yourself first. As a parent and/or a teacher, you are the anchor for your children. This is a turbulent time and if all you can do is to take care of yourself and your family, you will have won this round! To that end, the first link is to a page on Social Emotional Learning (self-regulation, mindfulness, etc.).
The good news is that this is part of the curriculum in British Columbia, Canada, so if you take care of yourself, and talk to your children about the topics below, you will be TEACHING in the most effective way.
- HOW you are taking care of yourself?
- WHY you are taking care of yourself?
- WHAT the triggers are that tell you it’s time to apply a strategy?
- WHICH strategies you find most useful, and
- WHEN it is most effective to apply those strategies?
Talk with your child using words and ideas that they can understand. Give them the information they need at the time. It is not always appropriate to tell them everything. At this time too much information or emotion might just add to the stress. Keep it light – if you can – and lead the way.
(How to help your kids make good decisions online and in social media.)
Other Activities & Lessons (below)
- Let’s Talk About Transmission – Good Video for Intermediate Students and Older
- Cov-ed 4 KidsGreat video explaining the Corona virus from UBC Medicine – Educational Media. Have you been hearing lots about Corona virus? Are you wondering what it’s …
- Back to School Wearing a Mask5 Helpful Tips To Get Your Child To Wear A Mask
- Video Explaining PandemicA video story from author Kim St. Lawrence: ASL version of video story from author Kim St. Lawrence: Hora De Entrar, Osito
- No Hugs Yet – Hedgehog and Tortoise
- Parents’ Guide to Tik TokParents’ Guide to Tik Toc Who are the TikTokers that my kids are following?
- Dealing with Temper TantrumsFrom the Preschool Mindfulness Summit – Dr. Rick Hanson What does the science say? slow it down – buy yourself some time “train” before the …
- Mindfulness-What is it?
- Parent TrappedParent Trapped Podcast – A podcast for parents by Common Sense Media. The coronavirus pandemic has turned our lives upside down. Parent Trapped is here …
- Joint Attention ExamplesSimply, joint attention is a shared experience between you and your child – when you both realize it is a shared experience – even if …
- Social Distancing – “Near and Far”And of course, our old friend Grover, explains “Near and Far”.
- 5 Ways to Help Kids Deal with Disturbing NewsExplaining Disturbing News To Our Kids (Or deciding Not To)
- Social Stories about the Pandemic – by Carol GrayFor free stories on the pandemic, click here. Topics:-“Some Day – A Story of Hope”-“Watching a Pandemic on Television”-” COVID-19: I Can Help! “Father reading …
- Help Your Family De-Stress During Coronavirus Uncertainty – From Common Sense Media:How to manage anxiety, stay active, and focus on your family’s well-being. By Sierra Filucci
- Talking to Kids About Covid 19 from Kelty Mental Health:
- Wash Your Hands – Baby Shark Hand Washing Song(Sorry parents, but whatever it takes….)
- Anxiety CanadaTalking To Kids About COVID-19 from Anxiety Canada Free Downloadable Resources:
- Recipe For Regulation – At HomeFor more lessons on self-regulation for parents to work on with their children, contact: email@example.com
- Science Experiments with Bill NyeHome Demos Experiments you should try at home. Get started!
- Drawing with Mo WillemsLunch Doodles Episode 1 Doodle and draw with Mo! We are all at home but we can still draw together.
- Science World ResourcesHands on Science Activities Activities, experiments games, lessons and videos to watch and try yourself!
- Family MathFamily Math Activities This site has fun and simple ideas of games and activities you can do at home. Even the kits for purchase could …
- Emotional-RegulationWhy Practicing Can Help with Emotional Regulation, by Oregon Behaviour Consultation Being mad “makes us dumb”. Make a plan. Practise to make the best choice …
- Pearson Text BooksOpen Access to K-12 Resources Free open access to all Kindergarten – Grade 12 resources (most until the end of June 2020). Please Note – …
- NewselaCurrent events – Different reading levels Newslea can help students improve their reading comprehension and keep them current with what is happening in our nation …
- Oxford ReadingFree eBook Library Oxford Reading: 100 free eBooks for children aged 3–11 years old. Check which level is right for your child with this simple …
- 16 Ideas for Student Projects in Google Docs, Slides, and Forms – by Jennifer GonzalesProjects: Annotated Bibliography Book Review Collaborative Story Media-Rich Research Paper Super Simple Blog Table Choose Your Own Adventure Story E-Book Magazine Museum Kiosk Short Film …
- BC Numeracy NetworkBC Numeracy Network Math for families (English, Chinese, and Punjabi) Lessons topics: Estimation Patterning Counting and Numbers Spatial Thinking Numeracy Website suggestions
- Hand Washing VisualsFrom the Down Syndrome Resource Foundation Hand Washing Visuals with words. Hand Washing Visuals without words.
- Down Syndrome Resource FoundationFree Downloads Free supplies to download for your home learning kit. Includes activities and visuals for: Get Ready for Reading, Spelling, Math, etc.
- EpicOnline Books Free online stories until the end of June 2020. (Requires an invitation by your child’s teacher.)
- AudibleAudio Books & Podcasts Free audiobooks for children while schools are closed.
- Common Sense MediaExceptional & Practical Content Virtual Field Trips Apps & Websites Digital Citizenship Lessons Free Online Events & Activities for Kids at Home Common Sense Media …
- The Great IndoorsScouts UK Fun activities from Scouts (UK).
- 25 Best Podcasts for KidsPodcasts for the Whole Family
- Calm App & YouTube ChannelCalm App Compatibility: Android & iOS The Calm app offers soothing sounds and music, breathing visuals, and sleep stories. The first 7 days are free. …
- Self-Regulation: What is it?